You didn't really expect me to honour the "change of the year as an opportunity to reflect" meme, did you? Well you might be suprised. I have never really cared for the official end of year stuff. Today is a day, and tomorrow is one too. And on one day we write '06, on the other we try not to forget to change our habit and write '07. But then, thi last year has seen a load of changes and developmeents for me and my small family... so I guess I might just as well give you a round up. Trust me, I'll do it in the most cryptic of way I can. You know me by now :)
- My "last year" actually started in November of '05 when we as a fa,ily decided to finaly give up on a dream-gone-bad and leave. Almost head over heels as it were. We moved to a new place and started re-building our lives for ourselves.
- I got in contact with Marc Canter, and we discussed some kind of work-together.
- Our husband/wife relationship did not really improve by living and working together in one small appartment 24/7. It had already badly been damaged by aforementioned dream-gone-bad.
- End of April I flew to Amsterdam to a) meet Marc Canter in person and also attend "The Game OF Now". Incidently it was the time of "Queen's Day" in Amsterdam. This solo-travel event and what expired in Amsterdam marked a major turning point in my development, personaly and professionaly also. I also got to meet my friend Carl Contino there, as he was the major force of getting me to go to Amsterdam in the first place.
- Coming home I had an idea and an agreement with Marc about work. The idea was for me to find an office/appartment to work and also live in for several days at a time. This idea suprisingly also agreed very much with Sandra, my wife. One could almost say we had the same idea independantly.
- I moved into the 'Bat Cave' around middle of May, and officially started work as a Broadband Mechanic team member on 1st of June.
- The one major external development since then was a very pleasant but also very suprising one: Affter having seriously discussed things like divorce and the future of our children, my wife fell in love with me again. We are now more in love with each other than we have been in all the 11 years we spent together. Not living in one place has done a lot of good to our relation.
- On my side, I have been more productive in for-pay work that I might have been in years, and I really dig that. On the personal side of productivity, I have re-discovered my love of music, visual arts and writing.
So all in all the "last year" has been a tremendous development for me and my loved ones. I came a long way from "babysitter and walker of the dog, with no money to feed his family" to "professional webdeveloper in a major project" and "emergent multimedia artist".
Please excuse the un-opened boxes and dust around here. Not settled yet :)
Similarfive things | 2006 >>
alles Bild, Text und Tonmaterial ist © Martin Spernau, Verwendung und Reproduktion erfordert die Zustimmung des Authors