So there. This is a bojt as mobile as I may get. I now own my very own iPod touch 2G, This is the iPhone that is NOT a phone. What ise would I have of a mobile phone, when it's very rare that I actually move, like in being mobile. And if I I ever do, it's usally far away from any net connectivity, and that would be intentionally so.
To never be tempted to give this little comouter touchpad thingie away (or even SEKK it) I decided to have it engraved with my email address and it's name, "MAchina Ludi." And as quirkyness goes I have an error there: I had it engraved in ALL CAPS, as would be propper for a latin engravement, only the roman alphabet makes no destinction between U and V, so the title of this post would be the 'correct' spelling, But really, this wouldn't be MY iPod if it didn't have a quik or two, yes?
In a coincidence that comes close to synchonicity... a pre xmas gift from downunder arrived here on the very same day the tiny box from apple did:
It seems I'll need to cash out that 99usd/year fee to apple to actually be able to run any self compiled code on my own iPod (if I want to stay 'legal' that is), se we will see how that goes.
What I am missing yet is the headset with mic so that I can use RJDJ :) With that the investment into this little toy will have been well worth all the euros it cost me.
Other first impressions:
- the box this thing comes in via UPS is only the first small preparation for how small this is.
- you open the small shipping bix and take out the actual product packaging. Then you sear the box if you missed anything. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, BUT FOR SOME REASON I EXPEDED MORE BRANDING AND LOGOS AND STUFF. The packaging is a clear case of extreme understatement.
- shit this thing is SMALL
- for me the font on many dialogs is almist a bit too tiny. But then this is a small screen anyway so no suprise there.
- it IS possible to sewt up an iTunes app stire account without any payment info, so you can load free software. In the end I went for the ClickAndBuy option, which allows me to actually pay for stuff without the need for a credit card.
- I wish more text based apps had zoom like mobile safari has. Now I am aware that basing any app on a WebKit wrapper and creating UIs in HTML/CSS may be a bad idea on a resource scare platform, but at least that would allow for easy fluid font scaling and text re formating etc....
Similarshulman | enjoying Stanza >>
alles Bild, Text und Tonmaterial ist © Martin Spernau, Verwendung und Reproduktion erfordert die Zustimmung des Authors