One of the my tasls for the nearer future (around maybe September) professionally is to set up a small 'team' of coders here in Europe, maybe even Germany. Location is less important than the ease of commnication. So I was musing about what I would be looking for... There is the obvious 'good programmer' skill set, but that's really only a small part of it.
- Good communication. THe best expert is no use if they can't communicate. The ability to understand and to broadcast likewise. As much as clear instructions, keeping in touch etc woud be the part of the team leader, it would be the skill required by team members to actually comprehend instructions, give qualifies feedback, status reports that are useful etc.
- A compatible mindset. This is really a case for case thing. There needs to be a certain overlap in general approaches to architecture, coding style, workflow and again communication for a team to work out. THe best coders won't be good in any team that follows a different mindset or style.
The second point kind of plays into the hands of the first. The more the mindsets are compatible, the easier communication gets.
Having different mindset in a team can be very good for a project at large as it avoid getting stale or thinking only inside the box. It required that both side are good at clearly communicating their approach and being flexible in actual implementation.
- leading from the inside out
- channeled communication
- productivity boost - work shorter
- genius, frustration and burnout
alles Bild, Text und Tonmaterial ist © Martin Spernau, Verwendung und Reproduktion erfordert die Zustimmung des Authors